German cycling star Andre Greipel will chase a third Tour Down Under title with the sprinter’s place in the January event confirmed on Friday.
Greipel has won 14 Tour Down Under stages, including three in the 2013 edition and is looking forward to starting his cycling season in Australia for the seventh consecutive year.
“The race has become a bit tougher each year, but I see three opportunities to sprint in this edition. The aim is a stage victory,” Greipel said.
“It will be the first time that the sprint train will be put on the rails next season and that we can put it to the test.
“We leave two weeks before the start, so we can train in the most optimal conditions. In Australia we are sure to have good weather.”
The 31-year-old, who won the Tour’s general classification in 2008 and 2010, was confirmed alongside six other riders from the Belgian team Lotto Belisol.
- 2013 Report Card: Lotto Belisol (cyclingnews.com)
- Van den Broeck and Vanendert to begin in Tour de San Luis, Greipel and Roelandts in Tour Down Under (velonation.com)
- Greipel sticks with successful formula, will begin season again in Santos Tour Down Under (velonation.com)
- Greipel to miss Milan Sanremo, but dreams of Gent-Wevelgem or Paris-Roubaix win (velonation.com)
- Impey Moves Into Yellow As Greipel Wins Stage (worldsportdigest.com)
- Greipel wins in Montpellier (cycleboy3000.wordpress.com)